Sunday, November 18, 2018

A Wooden Mystery Object

It has been quite some time since I published a mystery object post so today, for your quizzical pleasure, I present you with this:

Chronica Domus
What in the world is this mystery object?
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
Photo: Chronica Domus


Jim, who comments under the name Parnassus and writes the blog Road To Parnassus, was the inspiration for today's game.  "I am sure that we could go many rounds of "mystery object" with the contents of that store" was his comment on my previous post referring, of course, to Lucullus Antiques.  That was when the little light bulb that lives in my head began to glow and I realized it was high time we played another round of this fun game.

Today's item is about five and a half inches in length and is made of that most beautiful American wood, Tiger Maple (or would that be Flame Maple, Fiddleback, or even Curly Maple?).  Whatever one chooses to call it, its distinctive striated pattern makes for a very attractive wood indeed.

I believe the mystery item was likely made at either the end of the nineteenth century or the beginning of the twentieth century when its use was a little more prevalent than it is today.  My husband found this one about six months ago at a collective antiques mall.  It was tossed atop a pile of random objects corralled in a basket.  When he spotted it, he held it up and asked me if I knew what it was (evidently, he did!).  It took me a few minutes to ponder the answer but I solved the mystery on my first attempt.  His next question was, "Do you want it, it's only a couple of dollars?"  Well, of course I wanted it!  The object had all the hallmarks of an excellent mystery object post.

So, can you guess what the purpose of today's mystery item is?  Please do leave me a comment with your best guess which I look forward to reading.  Let the fun and games begin!


32 comments:

  1. Coulda shoulda wouldaNovember 18, 2018 at 11:43 AM

    Testing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm first to guess and my first thought was a butter curler as you also said it was seldom used now, and then I thought pastry fluter but perhaps the ribs would be too narrow to make a prominent finish. I'm going with butter curler!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Nope, but it does have something to do with butter.

      Delete
  4. I don't know! I came to see if someone else did!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! You'll need to come back again as all will be revealed in my next post.

      Delete
  5. Such fun! Is this half of a collar fluter? Seems to need a heated fluted roller to shape the collar. Or non heated form to clamp the starched collar in place until dry... Most I have seen are convex rather than concave...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello CD, I feel guilty about your giving me so much credit, since I have no idea what this is! The radius is too small for a pie crimper, and it doesn't look quite right for fancy butter shapes. A lot of cookies or pastries are round and have fluted edges, but usually their molds are completely round and in one piece.

    I do notice that the handle is flat on the curved side, suggesting that two of these might go together to make a circle. Even though it looks kind of familiar, I'll have to wait for the answer.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will reveal all soon, but once again, thank you for playing along and being the inspiration for this post.

      Delete
  7. Hmmmm... this is a tough one. Is it used to shape butter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, sort of but my next post will life the lid on this mystery item so come back soon!

      Delete
  8. Also, could you please show us a couple of photos of your Thanksgiving table? Always love your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, and as you've already seen yes, Thanksgiving table aleady posted, done and dusted!

      Delete
  9. Wow, this is a perplexing one and I thought I knew my kitchen objects. Could it be a molding tool for crimping pies or turnovers?
    KLGaylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, but do stay tuned as I'll be revealing the purpose of this particular object next.

      Delete
  10. For cutting a portion of butter?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pierogi mold?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope but thanks for your guess. Will reveal all shortly.

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Hello Sandra and welcome! Thank you for your comment but come back again to find out what the mystery object is used for.

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Glad this one stumped you but I won't keep you in suspense too much longer. All will be revealed in my next post.

      Delete
    2. Circa 1900 wooden butter curler

      Delete
  14. This posting was a fun parlor game for us on Thanksgiving Day. We are looking forward to the answer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm very pleased to hear it. I hope you came to the correct answer or at least had fun taking a stab at it.

      Delete

Please do leave a comment as I enjoy the dialogue with my readership, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...