Wednesday, June 22, 2016

New Additions to The Hanging Wall Shelf

Chronica Domus
At last, the hanging wall shelf is full!
Photo: Chronica Domus

Last October, I wrote about my Morandi-inspired hanging wall shelf.  After arranging a small collection of earthenware vessels upon it, I was delighted to discover that sufficient room remained for additional bits and bobs to be added over time.

Chronica Domus
The hanging wall shelf as it looked last October
Photo: Chronica Domus

As you may have guessed, I'm a bit of a gatherer type.  I was certain it would not be long until an interesting and attractive object presented itself, begging to be added to the hanging shelf.

My opportunity came last December during a visit to London's Portobello Road Market, which I wrote about, here.  Rummaging through the crates and boxes of Mr. Peter Adams' stall, my husband and I selected several of the diminutive treacle and toffee colored ink pots and salt glazed polish vessels to take home with us.

Chronica Domus
Spoilt for choice!
Photo: Chronica Domus
We also snapped these up:

Chronica Domus
Photo: Chronica Domus

What, you might be asking yourself is Virol?  Well, we too were wondering the same thing.  It turns out that Virol was a perplexing concoction of bone marrow, among other ingredients, conceived during the early twentieth century.  It was marketed to British mothers of young children and carers of the elderly and infirm.  I suppose one could describe Virol as a type of super food of its day.

An early metal sign depicting an earthenware jar of Virol

Virol promised everything from "perfectly moulded features, clear bright eyes, firm flesh with good healthy colour, and well-formed limbs ... a Virol constitution".  Sign me up please!  Or, maybe not.  I have a sneaking suspicion that Virol may have fallen flat on its face in its attempts at exciting the gastronomic juices of this gentle author.

Our Virol bottles look perfectly at home alongside their earthenware companions, would you not agree?

Chronica Domus
Photo: Chronica Domus

The taller of the two measures a mere three and a half inches, and the smaller bottle is a fraction shorter.

Now that I've filled up my hanging wall shelf, I'm afraid I haven't a clue where to put this charming little fellow, which I could not pass up when doing my rounds of The Alameda Antiques Faire earlier this month.

Chronica Domus
A 19th century ink pot complete with the potter's fingerprint embedded in the glaze for posterity
Photo: Chronica Domus

No matter, for I am sure it won't be too long until I find an appropriate resting place for it.  Do I see another hanging wall shelf in my future?  Perhaps so.

17 comments:

  1. The hanging shelf looks to beautiful with your collection of old pottery on it. I love the color green with the background wall color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, andrew1860. The paint color of the hanging shelf was inspired by the original color millwork which we unearthed beneath layers of paint when we restored the back stairwell of our house. That is where the shelf hangs today.

      Delete
  2. What a sweet, small glimpse of necessaries from the past! And such a charming collection, added to when you find something that catches your imagination and heart, not just your eye.

    What is that small white pierced bowl-of-a-thing? I think of them as “tea-collars,” for I have one for each of my McCormick Aladdin teapots, and when they’re inserted beneath the lid, all that shows is a pristine little white clerical collar. You could probably mold a small fresh cheese in that, or drip your favorite yogurt infused with herbs, for a lovely spread-for-three.

    And re: Virol---just this morning, Chris was nibbling his way around the little ring of bone from his slice of ham, extracting and savoring a bite, whilst attempting to explain “marrow” to Herself, with quite a long greasy sentence fabout blood cells and delicious, to hand-covered eyes and a grimace. That’s probably my genes, mirroring my first taste of Vegemite, brought in the luggage of our dear Brit friends on their bi-annual visit several years ago. I was making toast, and they put a nice smear on before putting it on their plates.
    Not Yuk, Not EW, but a bit strong and strange for me.

    Small bottles are simply works of art, with a mystery to them---what have they held---nostrums or potions or bootblack or ink. And finding one sunk into the mud of a vacant yard, hoping and hoping as you unearth the prize that all beneath is as pure and unbroken as the visible.

    Lunchtime, and then we’re off to the SmartyPants store---visiting Grandsons soon.

    r

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest racheld,

      Your description of Chris reminded me of a beloved uncle and my childhood memories of him. He was famous in our family for his love of marrow. He'd relish the chance at polishing off a bone or two and we all felt terribly sorry for his German Shepherd dog Patsy, who had slim pickings after uncle was done with his dinner.

      The pierced ceramic vessel is a vintage French cheese strainer. I purchased it for my husband, who enjoys making cheese. He loved it, of course, but I loved it more so up on the hanging shelf it went.

      Delete
  3. I've been an admirer of your hanging shelf and now it has reached perfection... yes I think you need another!
    The arrangement is done so well, you and your husband really have an eye for beautiful things.
    Virol sounds a bit ill-making! Eeesh I'll pass too. ;) xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello DaniBP,

      Thank you. So nice to learn of your admiration for my little hanging shelf and its escalating collection of stoneware vessels, odds and ends. I've had a lot of fun putting it all together and I might very well be at the cusp of spilling over onto another (future) shelf. Ah, the pitfalls of a born collector.

      Glad you'll join me in shunning Virol, which really does sound quite ghastly!


      Delete
  4. CD,
    What wonderful examples of stoneware. I have a Dundee Marmalade jar, like the one on your shelf and have always hoped to find another that wasn't overpriced. Your shelf now looks complete. It's on to a new collection then?
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen,

      I found my Dundee marmie jar about twenty years ago and adore it. A friend gave me a second jar years later which got me thinking that I've not stumbled across too many of them on my travels. I've seen newer jars, made of milk glass, but I don't think they are as charming as the older ceramic examples. I hope you find another for your collection soon (fingers crossed!).

      Delete
  5. Dear CD,

    The new additions work beautifully with that gorgeous shade of green.

    I've not heard of Virol but it reminded me of another panacea, an ointment called Zam-buck. Perhaps you've heard of it? Apparently, my grandfather was a devotee, and the subject of light-hearted ridicule because of it.

    Spud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correction: Wikipedia tells me that should be Zam-buk, which had it origins in Leeds and is still available in Australia, the US and Canada.

      Spud.

      Delete
    2. Hello Spud,

      Thank you, I'm really happy how the new additions have joined the party on the hanging shelf. They all seem to be getting along rather nicely.

      Adore the story of your grandfather and his liking for Zam-buk, an ointment I have, until now, not been aware of. It sounds much like how Vicks ointment was used in my childhood home. It was the universal cure for everything!

      Delete
  6. Hello CD, Your collection of antique ceramic jars and pots is growing to enviable proportions. I was lucky enough to obtain a few of them in the past, but once I bought a large lot of pottery jars from England and unfortunately they never arrived. Perhaps they ended up somewhere at the bottom of the Sargasso Sea; I certainly wish you better luck with future acquisitions.
    --Jim
    P.S. Use caution when buying old ceramic pots--they are starting to be reproduced!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,

      How sad to hear of your lost bounty of ceramic pots. I hope you've been able to replace them over time.

      I've not yet seen the types of reproductions you mention (I had no idea there was even a market for them). All of mine appear to be the genuine thing, and most have been dug up from goodness only knows where in the UK (dumps, gardens, or river banks I would imagine). I've even found dirt clods in some and desiccated ink in others.

      Delete
  7. Love your new additions - such a lovely memento of travel to bring something meaningful home with you.
    Laughing at the Virol. Sounds delicious! And quite miraculous too! Now where to find some to force down the necks of my three I wonder?? Although funnily enough while Cod Liver Oil was all the go up until the 60's it has been proven to have been beneficial with all the Omega 3 in it... so you never know and the Virol might come back in fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Heidi, they do look rather nice all gathered together.

      I'd forgotten about cod liver oil but hated it as a child. Even later when my mother discovered it in capsule form, I found it quite repulsive.

      I doubt Virol will ever make a comeback, at least I hope it doesn't. All I keep thinking about is Bovine spongiform encephalopathy!

      Delete
  8. I am fan of your collection of earthenware vessels and will keep my eye out for more for my own small collection. There is just something charming and Morandi-esque about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello slf,

      I adore their simple form and range of colors which goes to show there is (was) beauty to be found in the most mundane household items.

      Delete

Please do leave a comment as I enjoy the dialogue with my readership, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...