Monday, February 19, 2018

Life's Little (Long) Weekend Pleasures

Nota bene: I was able to sneak the highly-fragrant posy you see below into the marital bedroom because my husband happened to be away on a business trip the day I snapped the photograph below; such a transgression would be unthinkable otherwise and near grounds for divorce - you can read why, here.

Chronica Domus
An engaging book and a bedside posy of home-grown narcissus Avalanche helps to ease one comfortably into a relaxing Sunday morning
Photo: Chronica Domus


Several days ago I received a nice comment from one of my loyal readers.  "CD, CD, wherefore art thou?  I miss you!".  Reading it made me realize that I have not been particularly punctual with my posts here at Chronica Domus lately.  Had it really been an entire month since I last published anything or, for that matter, have had the luxury of visiting my favorite blogs?  I am afraid it really has been.

Since the beginning of January, my days have held an almost elastic quality to them.  My real-world professional obligations have stretched too far into my waking hours which, sadly, has left little time to pursue the more pleasurable aspects of life, including the upkeep of this blog.  I won't even mention the alarming state of my garden.  Shudder.  As you can imagine, the long President's Day weekend could not have arrived soon enough.  Three entire days to revel in the little things in life that provide the greatest of pleasure.  I consider one of those pleasures to be sleep.

I don't know about you but a few extra hours of sleep on a weekend morning has become a luxurious indulgance the older I get.   If I can make it to 8 a.m. in the comfort of my bed, I just know it's going to be a good day.  It pains me to admit that, try as I might, I am not a natural early riser.  I admire those of you that are up and about enjoying the crepuscular light of dawn, catching sight of colorful skies painted by the first shafts of light.  That said, on most weekday mornings I do tumble out of bed before dawn, heavy-eyed and yawning.  This is done not out of choice, mind you, but to fulfill my familial and workday obligations.  I am also charged with serving breakfast to Norton and the hungry clowder of neighborhood ferals.  They have certainly trained me well.  As I hurriedly dart about, I barely notice when daylight eventually does break.  In another life, I would be found snoozing well into the morning which is why I do so enjoy the luxury of a slower start to a weekend morning.  Those precious few restorative hours of slumber truly rejuvenate my body and soul.  Only then am I able to focus on a full weekend of running errands, visiting the farmers' market, gardening, social obligations, and general good old-fashioned fun.  

Sunday mornings are also when I am able to loll about in bed, enjoying a good read. I have only just cracked open a book that I purchased two years ago when I visited the charming collegiate city of Cambridge, England.  Titled Below Stairs In The Great Country Houses, Adeline Hartcup's fascinating book recalls with delicious detail several real-life accounts of how many of Britain's most famous country houses were run.  If you are a fellow devotee of the much-missed television series Downton Abbey, you too will enjoy reading about the strict hierarchy adhered to - and the minefield of social blunders to be avoided - by the many characters that lurked both above and below stairs.

How about you, which of life's little (long) weekend pleasures give you the most satisfaction?

19 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the blogoshpere, CD. It's always a pleasure to see a new post pop up.
    Funny, I was having a conversation with an acquaintance recently and we agreed that, given the choice, 8:00am would be the ideal to rise. There again, there is a certain pleasure to be had in solo breakfasting in the early hours of the morning.
    Spud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Spud,

      It's good to be back, thank you. I am also pleased to learn that you too have come to the conclusion that 8 a.m. is such a civilized hour to rise from one's bed. I am dreading next month's daylight savings time when the clocks go forward, ugh!

      Delete
  2. Happy to see you here!

    And, for me the weekend pleasure is having my husband with me all day:).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisa,

      What a lovely pleasure that must be for you, indeed. I'm sure your weekends are much improved for having the delightful company of your husband about.

      Delete
  3. Hello CD, Those flowers do make a beautiful springtime vignette, but I'll bet that your husband will detect their former presence, with loud wails! (I know because I have the same reaction.)

    Rather than admiring early risers, I find fault with them for setting a bad example for the rest of us, as well as the holier-than-thou tone many of them seem to possess. I think that 10:00 would be a much better target, with generous allowances for those who need a little extra time to get going--I am definitely a night person.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,

      Don't worry, I made sure to remove the offending posy well in advance of my husband's arrival back home and even took the additional step of airing out the room by opening the window. I know, extreme measures, but I do appreciate that the aroma given off by such flowers is not to everyone's liking.

      "I find fault with them for setting a bad example...". Now, that really gave me a good chuckle because IT IS SO TRUE!! In another life, I'd like you to be the keeper of the clocks. Also, what is the obsession about starting school so early here in the United States? Those poor children must be very tired having to attend classes as early as 7 am in some instances.

      Delete
  4. Little narcissuses are beautiful, bringing me a warm breeze of spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello roughterrain crane,

      How poetic your comment is, thank you! Narcussus happens to be my favorite spring-time flower. They bring me such joy and pleasure at this time of the year.

      Delete
  5. Dear CD,
    Glad to know you are well albeit sleep-deprived. While retirement has ushered in other obligations (familial and volunteer), I do have the luxury of getting a full night's rest much of the time. That was not the case when I worked full time and had a long commute! Then again, our three cats will often wake me up if they feel breakfast is overdue.
    Flowers decorate our bedroom only once during the year...peony season in June. Our bushes are so prolific that virtually every room has a vase. I even bring flowers to some of our neighbors. Alas, the season is short; a scant two and a half weeks. Still, it is one of the highlights of our short New England summer.
    Best,
    KL Gaylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello KL Gaylin,

      I most definitely feel a little less sleep depreived today coming off a lovely and relaxing three-day weekend. What a difference a few extra hours makes to one's outlook on life.

      I would love to have a "peony season". Yours must bring you oodles of joy with their blousy appearance. Do you have a favorite color? Somewhere in my garden is a lone whie tree peony. It may have withered away in recent years (drought, sadly), so I'm going to have to root around a bit until I find it again. It may be swamped by one of my rose bushes as the previous owner of the house planted it far too close to the roses.

      Delete
  6. Dear CD,

    So glad you are back! Thought you might like to know that Southern Living has an article on daffodils - I know, not narcissus - in the latest edition. Also, thank you for the book recommendation! I really enjoy reading about life in the big country houses.

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Stephanie,

      Thank you for providing the nudge I needed to get my act together and start posting again. I feel like a bear, awakening from winter's slumber.

      I'm sure you'll enjoy taking a gander at Below Stairs In The Great Country Houses. I find the relationship between those above stairs and their staff to be most fascinating, especially as it relates to the various ranks amongst the staff below. One housemaid or footman is not the same as another.

      I look forward to seeking out a copy of SL and reading the daffodil article (by the way, daffodils are indeed narcissus and the beauty of these lovely spring flowers is that they come in many shapes and colors - they are my absolute favorite flower - well, OK, Spring flower, as I do so adore summer's Sweet Peas too).

      Delete
    2. You are so right about the relationships in the big houses. I am sure you have seen the movie Gosford Park where the servants are called by their employer's names, not their own, and they are seated at dinner according to their employer's rank or precedence! What a different place we live in today! (Happy to provide the nudge!)

      Delete
    3. Yes Gosford Park was wonderfully entertaining and did an admirable job of portraying those below stairs. If you enjoyed that film, you might also be interested in the newly imagined television series of Upstairs Downstairs, released in 2010. It stars Adrian Scarborough (also of Gosford Park). I'm sure it will be right up your alley.

      Delete
  7. Hi CD - I've had a little (long) blogging break too, so will go back and catch up on what I've been missing. Mine though, wasn't work related - it was our long Summer holidays here in January, and I stayed off my computer and enjoyed our family time at the beach instead. Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and New Year, and that you have more time in the next month ahead to do the things you like the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and that book looks intriguing... any good? I've been buying more and more old books lately - they seem better overall than the recent slew of coffee table books!

      Delete
    2. Hello Heidi,

      Sounds like your break at the beach was a marvelous way of reconnecting with "real life" but didn't you find you missed the Blogosphere, just a little?

      The book I'm reading is providing lots of little tidbits that have raised my eyebrows. For instance, did you know that a French lady's maid was considered to be far more chic than a German or Swiss maid, who were viewed as more "practical" and "down-to-earth". So funny how these stereotypes evolved so long ago.

      Delete
  8. Sometimes life intrudes onto our time, doesn't it? Being retired, the weekend blends into the weekdays, but we try to do something to stop the daily grind on Saturday mornings. Like a drive somewhere new, or just reading or listening to public radio. It's so easy to get into a rut of work and work and work, even when retired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Granny Sue,

      Your approach to retired weekends sounds just dandy. There's nothing more pleasing than a weekend drive to places afar to break up that Monday to Friday grind. If I ever have the privilege of retiring, I shall remember to take your advice and do something to mark each weekend.

      Enjoy the upcoming weekend and thanks for stopping by and joining in on the banter today.

      Delete

Please do leave a comment as I enjoy the dialogue with my readership, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...