Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Relics Reimagined: A Sewing Kit

My sewing paraphernalia held in Granny's tole box
Photo: Chronica Domus


Oh dear, it finally happened last week.  While busily tapping away at my keyboard, I felt my trouser button abruptly give way, proof (as if any was needed) that all of the over-eating and idle inactivity of cooler winter days had finally caught up to my waistline. There was only one thing for it.  I needed to embark on a rigorous slenderization diet in order to shed the few creeping pounds that had settled rather uncomfortably around my middle.  Actually, there was one other thing I could do about this sorry tale, and that was to sew that button right back where it belongs.  This entire episode left me wondering, do people still keep a sewing kit at their disposal to cope with such pesky little clothing emergencies? Here is the story of how I came about securing mine while simultaneously creating yet another in the series on "Relics Reimagined".

When I was in my early twenties and still living in London, I would regularly visit my Granny Elizabeth. We'd sit and chat over cups of tea, or take gentle walks in her walled garden, and if I were visiting during the evening hours, I would be treated to one of her delicious dinners. Granny lived alone (by choice), so having company at dinner time was always a great treat for her.

On one of my visits, she gave me an empty metal tole box which she had owned for much of her life. I found the box attractive because of its deep blue color and sturdy hinged lid, and also because of the motif depicted on top, which rather reminded me of a spool of thread.  I could never quite identify what the central decoration depicted and had not a clue as to the origins of its contents.  I imagined it contained toffees or perhaps boiled sweets of some ilk and rather regretted not having asked her about it at the time. Alas, Granny is no longer with us, but the little box helps keep my memories of her alive.

Granny's little tole box, but what could it have held?
Photo: Chronica Domus


Recently, I found the empty box in the back of a drawer and was surprised I had not put it to good use. Granny loved to sew and was an expert seamstress.  She could knit and crochet too, which helped fill the many hours she spent at home while listening to the wireless.  Anything she made was accomplished with the highest degree of skill and always looked perfectly perfect upon completion. Her dexterity and sharpness of mind remained with her until her final days. Her attempts at teaching me to sew and knit as a young child, skills that, unfortunately, I've not used in decades, outside of rudimentary tasks such as sewing a button, were always prefaced with her mantra. I can still hear her steady voice at the commencement of each instruction uttering, "If you are going to all the bother of making something, make sure and do it right the first time".

In honor of Granny, I decided the best use for the little tole box would be to turn it into a small sewing kit, housing the paraphernalia that would allow me to mend a torn seam or sew a button onto a shirt with minimal fuss.  I wondered why I had not thought of this simple and practical idea before, shaking my head and rolling my eyes at my "eureka!" moment.  Up until then, I am somewhat embarrassed to admit, a shabby little resealable plastic bag had clumsily sufficed.  It was not a particularly practical solution I might add. After all, the bag was supposed to accommodate little sharp scissor blades and pointy needles. Ouch!  Dear Granny would have visibly blanched at the thought.

Granny would most certainly approve of my (new) vintage wooden needle case that safely corrals my sewing needles
Photo: Chronica Domus


A few reels of thread in the basic color palette of one's wardrobe, a selection of needles of various lengths and thicknesses, a thimble, a cloth tape measure, and a small scissor is all that one requires to put together a useful and indispensable sewing kit.

A few basic sewing implements ...
Photo: Chronica domus


...  now housed in Granny's tole tin
Photo: Chronica Domus


Not only is it a most satisfactory feeling to finally have a well-organized and safe place to store my sewing essentials, but I am now reminded of Granny Elizabeth each time I reach for my box, making it more of a pleasure than a chore whenever the need arises for a speedy clothing repair.  Besides, this is another wonderful demonstration of how a relic can be reimagined and made useful once more.

Last week, as I reached for my sewing kit to sew my trouser button back in place, I showed the box to my husband explaining that I had finally put Granny's box to good use.  He examined the lid's design and casually mentioned that it looked like a ship's capstan.  I quickly admitted my ignorance of such a contraption, which led him to explain that a capstan was a revolving spindle onto which rope was wound. While searching for an image of a ship's capstan on the internet to bolster his point, he made a surprising discovery.  It appeared that the capstan symbol was used by W.D. & H.O. Willis, a British tobacco importer who manufactured Capstan Navy Cut Cigarettes. The mystery of what Granny Elizabeth's tole box had long ago held was finally solved.

An early Capstan Navy Cut Cigarettes tin displaying the same motif as Granny's tole box


Granny was a smoker in her formative years, which I believe at the time was considered quite a fashionable and glamorous pursuit in some sectors of society.  I remember my mother telling me that when she was a young girl and Granny lit up socially, it caused her great embarrassment. Apparently, not everyone considered smoking de rigueur, but rather a masculine and immoral practice.  The fact that Granny held on to her tole cigarette tin for so long might have been an indication of how much she enjoyed the experience of smoking.  Perhaps she was fond of offering her house guests a cigarette from such a discreet presentation box (notice the lack of wording on Granny's box which might have otherwise betrayed the contents within).

A stylish Katherine Hepburn showing women how it was done in the 1930's

Do you have the benefit of a basic sewing kit at your disposal when little sewing emergencies present themselves?  If not I urge you the gather together a few sewing essentials so that you too will be kitted out to sew whenever the opportunity next presents itself.

27 comments:

  1. What a charming tale behind the origins of your little sewing box. Love that it links you back to your Grannie too, as does mine! I do have a sewing kit at the ready- it's my old sewing box from when I was 12. It had been bought at a car boot sale in Scotland by my Aunt and Uncle, and was clearly home made (wooden). It's in the shape of a little house, with an inscription on the bottom that says "Lucy Joffa", and is from the 1930's most likely. My grandmother decoupaged the box itself (all the rage in the 1980's) and gave it to me, and I used to use it for when I did embroidery back then. Now it tends to hold my needles and thread and scissors and tape measure for the never ending mending jobs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Heidi,

      How wonderful to learn that your sewing box has a connection with your granny too, and that you used to do embroidery work at the tender age of twelve, which was probably the last time I did any. I must take the time to teach my own daughter the basics of embroidery as I'm certain the act of attempting to get every stitch just so instilled in me a love of detailed handiwork.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely story! I don't know if most would have ever found the true origins of the box. Must say if smoking weren't so bad for the health I'd be a chain smoker. Even before my sewing class I would always bring home the seeking kit they give you at hotels for some reason. I bought a little bedside table but it held someone's old sewing kit in the drawer and I kept as is as I found it so sweet. I thought about seeing buttons on a cost once but I couldn't replicate the pressure knots so that shall be my next lesson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Naomi,

      If my husband lacked his mariner's knowledge there would be absolutely zero chance of me ever having identified the graphic on the tin's lid as being a capstan, which ultimately led us to unearth the origins of the tole box. I do so enjoy a little detective work every now and then.

      I too keep the little hotel sewing kits and place one in each of my suitcases. So handy to have on-hand when traveling.

      Delete
  3. Hello CD, Apparently you get your sewing skills from both sides of the family. In the most dire emergency, I can manage a button or a few distinctly Frankenstein-ish stitches.

    It's funny, but even though I collect many old boxes, I rarely keep anything inside, either old and interesting or newer and useful. I'll have to take a page out of your book and put some to good use.
    --Jim

    p.s., Good detective work on that tin, but thanks to your discussion of capstans, I now have old sea shanties running through my head!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,

      Make no mistake. Although the DNA for sewing does come down from both families, it lays dormant within me and has certainly skipped a generation. My hopes now lay with my daughter.

      I'm glad I've given you something to think about with regards to your empty boxes. I'd be interested to learn what you end up storing in them.

      Oh, and as for those sea shanties, thank you. I now have you to blame for firmly planting (on repeat) in my little brain, "What do we do with the drunken sailor", which will drive me to distraction for the rest of the day.

      Delete
  4. such a nice reminder to have! I Have the same sorts of sewing materials on hand in a pretty vintage tin I picked up at an estate sale. Neither of my grandmothers were really 'homemakers' in any sense of the word, haha! I learned how to sew on a button though from my 4th grade teacher -a most useful task!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello AD,

      Well, good on that fourth grade teacher! As you state, being able to sew on a button is indeed a useful task, especially as I'm finding more shabby button sewing on newer clothing. The first thing I did when I purchased my daughter's winter coat last November was to re-sew the buttons as they were literally hanging by a few threads.

      Delete
  5. i am such a sucker for old sewing kits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Meg,

      Old sewing kits are so charming in all their detail. I often find myself thinking about who owned and used them, and why they are now being sold at garage sales or given away to charity shops. Surely, the items are still useful, even for very basic sewing tasks.

      Delete
  6. Dear CD,
    I do indeed have a sewing kit and it resides in a tin box that once contained Toffee made by Farrah's of Harrogate. I have more than a few spools so the box is bulging a bit but I just love the container.
    Although it is definitely not politically correct, the old Hollywood movies did make smoking glamorous. Does anyone remember Paul Henreid lighting two cigarettes; one for Betty Davis and one for himself in "Now Voyager"?
    Best,
    KL Gaylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello KL Gaylin,

      Thank you for the reminder of Farrah's of Harrogate toffee boxes. I remember those creamy toffees well, and I'm happy to read that you are making the most of the discarded tin, a "Relic Reimagined" to be sure!

      I absolutely agree with you, those old Hollywood types sure made smoking such an alluring pastime. I don't recall Mr. Henreid's lighting abilities but will add Now Voyager to my list of must see films (who doesn't love an oldie?).

      Delete
  7. For my generation a sewing box was de rigueur. The container of choice was one of those fancy round biscuit or cookie boxes made of tin? Some of them had beautiful designs. I still have mine and it has all the things you have mentioned including a gadget to help you thread the needle. Boy, the things you come up with....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lindaraxa,

      How funny that you too have a sewing kit in a tin box. I know the item you mention (a metal needle threader), and I have one in my box too, seen tucked beneath the thimble in the last photograph of my box in this posting. I think the thimble looks darling but is quite useless, at least that is my experience of the thing. My father always had great big fat ones without a top, so they must do something useful if you know how to use them correctly.

      Delete
  8. Hello CD,

    What a lovely connection to your Granny.

    My grandmother kept her sewing and crochet paraphernalia in an aluminium jug. While the jug is long gone, I did keep it's contents when she passed away and think of her every time I use them.

    And 'yes!' to KL Gaylin's question above about 'Now Voyager' (one of my favourite films). Would love to know your thoughts should you get around to watching it.

    Spud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Spud,

      I'm happy to read that you held onto your grandmother's sewing bits and bobs, and that you use them to this day. It is a wonderful way of maintaining a connection don't you think?

      Now I really do have to see Now Voyager as you too are a fan.

      Thank you for stopping by and commenting today.

      Delete
  9. CD,
    I love your stories of finds and family. The box is charming and now I'm sure you'll pull it out more often than when it was stored without use. I have a little red woven musical sewing basket that my grandmother bought for me sometime in my middle school years when we all were required to take Home Economics and one of the quarters involved making a piece of clothing from a pattern. The little box still plays its tune when the lid is lifted. I love it and the memory of my dear grandmother is with me each time I use it.
    Thank you for sharing this story, it reminded me of my grandma.
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen,

      How extraordinary that you too maintain a connection to your grandmother through your very own sewing box. I've not heard of a musical sewing basket, but why not!

      I too remember taking Home Economics and one of our assignments was to make an article of clothing using a pattern. I chose to make a pencil skirt (still my favorite style of skirt), and was lucky enough to procure a length of camel colored cashmere that my father had laying around for this project. I was so very proud of that skirt and held onto it for quite a number of years. Alas, it is now gone, as are my sewing skills.

      Delete
  10. When I lived in Hawaii, I took quilting lessons and found that a thimble was essential to push the needle through all those layers of cloth and batting. It was also during this period that a friend gave me a beautiful pincushion made from Hawaiian print fabric and stuffed with human hair. The pincushions were sold from a barbershop. My daughter was grossed out by the hair stuffing but there was a logic to it all. The natural oils from hair kept the needles from rusting! I kept that pincushion and it is a treasured memento as well as an essential tool in my sewing basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello slf,

      What a fascinating story you tell of your treasured pincushion. To me, stuffing it with human hair makes perfect sense. I collect mourning hair art and unlike your daughter am not "grossed out" by your pincushion.

      I can see the logic in a thimble now that you've explained how it is helpful to push through layers of fabric and batting. That is probably why my father found his so essential in his profession as a tailor.

      Thank you for dropping by and adding to the discussion.

      Delete
  11. Hello,

    So many intriguing connections in this post. How delightful that your grandmother's cigarette tin is now being put to good and practical use. You clearly have very fond memories of her which will be rekindled on each occasion that the sewing kit is put to use.

    We have a comprehensive selection of threads, silks, buttons, needles and pins all handed down ( as is virtually everything we possess) by an aged parent many years ago now. Indeed, the concertina type wooden box in which the sewing paraphernalia is kept was made by a prisoner of war when they were stationed in a camp near Romsey where aged parent used to live. We cannot thread a needle but when Tímea, our housekeeper, needlewoman, cook and all round genius goes to the sewing box we often wonder about who made it and what became of them. These connections are so intricately woven over the decades and we are all, surely, only a step away from being bound together in some convoluted way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Jane and Lance,

      How fascinating to learn of your POW wooden box and that it now houses your sewing accoutrements. I too would be wondering what became of the prisoner.

      It appears that many of the commenters of this post have connections to family members through their sewing boxes, which haveI found rather captivating and quite unexpected. Perhaps our parents and grandparents did not sew as much as they had anticipated when amassing their little troves of thread.

      Delete
  12. What a lovely post! Your sewing box is so darling and I love the history behind it. Your Granny sounds wonderful.
    I do have a wee sewing basket for quick repairs. My husband is quite hard on his clothes and is always pulling buttons off of things, just a couple of days ago I had to sew a button on his tweed coat.
    I also try to carry a small sewing kit in my handbag. Years ago at a James Taylor concert the strap popped right off of my dress, I could have used a needle and thread that evening as I held up my dress at the concert...which was also outdoors in the pouring rain... it was all a bit too Woodstock for my liking.
    I hope you don't mind but I'd like to pin a couple of your photos, that really is the ideal sewing kit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Dani,

      I'd be delighted, and humbled, if you found any of my photographs worthy of a pin, something I really ought to look into for myself as I hear it is all the rage (although I've never been one to lead the way, technologically speaking).

      Your dress disaster sounds as though it was an utter nightmare, especially when surrounded by so many people at a public event with nowhere to hide - heavens! It seems as though you've found the perfect solution in avoiding these little clothing emergencies by carrying a small sewing kit in your handbag. I've found that the kits supplied in hotel rooms are excellent for such emergencies and I keep one in my suitcase and bag at all times.

      Delete
  13. What a beautiful little pair if scissors! I have a little wooden box full of needles and thread, buttons and bits, and a little darning mushroom. Now there's a lost art, When was the last time anyone darned the hole in their socks?
    I am looking forward to seeing your hyacinths when they bloom. Please do share some pictures. David.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lord Cowell,

      I just adore that little pair of scissors and they work so well too. How funny that you should mention darning a hole in one's sock. I have had occasion to repair socks over the years but honestly cannot recall the last time I did.

      The hyacinths (at least some of them) are coming along splendidly and I shall report on them in a few weeks.

      Delete
  14. Yes of course, I'd be nothing without my sewing kit! It's not nearly as nice as yours looks though!

    ReplyDelete

Please do leave a comment as I enjoy the dialogue with my readership, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...