Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Relics Reimagined: An Inky Arrangement

Chronica Domus
An inky arrangement of sweet violets and violas contained within a black basalt inkwell
Photo: Chronica Domus


I am a firm believer in using items in ways other than for their intended purpose, items that would otherwise be relegated to obscurity.  I always enjoy these relics reimagined and have several such re-purposed objects around my home. Take, for example, my black basalt inkwell. 

Chronica Domus
An early 19th century black basalt inkwell relegated to obscurity by modern writers
Photo: Chronica Domus


Try as I might, I cannot recall a single occasion as an adult in which I have picked up a fountain pen to write a note.  A good quality ballpoint pen, yes, but a fountain pen, I'm afraid not.  I did use one during my childhood as a student in England, where we were instructed in penmanship, a skill that seems to have fallen by the wayside sadly.  It was also a requirement that all school work be completed in ink. We were taught to replenish our pen's cartridge with the aid of a small pot of blue or black India ink, carefully squeezing the soft bladder of the cartridge, and sucking up the contents until filled.  To my annoyance, there were many disastrous attempts at refilling my fountain pen.  Perhaps those memories, and the ones of leaking pens and ink stained fingers and clothes, are what keep me returning to my modern yet reliable ballpoint pen today.

Chronica Domus
My trusty ballpoint pen, a far less messy option for scribbling notes I find
Photo: Chronica Domus 


I purchased my basalt inkwell in adulthood, not because I intended to use it as a receptacle for ink, but because I was attracted to its shape, and was eager to add it to my ever expanding collection of black basalt, a collection that is mainly decorative in nature.  I did not want my inkwell to sit around idly on a surface looking pretty, mind you.  I wanted to again make it a relevant and useful item.

The well stands one and a half inches tall and almost twice as wide, having an engine-turned design of vertical ribs around its side.  It has four holes in its top to aid the writer in retrieving ink and storing his quills.  I adore black basalt pottery, which was first introduced to the masses by Josiah Wedgwood in the mid-1700's in England, and was soon plagiarized by his contemporaries, but we'll leave that subject for a future post.

Earlier last year, while crouching down to plant violas and violets in a flower bed, I noticed their sublime beauty and pleasant aroma could easily be lost once I stood up and viewed them from my higher vantage point.  That was when I got an idea.  I gathered a few of the inky black blooms of Viola Cornuta "Black Magic", and a few of the Viola Odorata "White Czar", brought them into the house, and looked for my inkwell.  I filled the well with water and arranged the blooms within the four holes.  I carried my Lilliputian arrangement to the dining room and placed it on one of the side tables, but it just wasn't the right place for it. I then walked into the drawing room and placed it on the mantel.  Although it did look rather fetching, it also appeared a little lost on the wide expanse of surface.  I then walked over to the secretary-bookcase and placed it atop the breakfront surface.  Eureka!  There it was, the perfect spot, an inkwell on a secretary, complete with an inky arrangement of blooms.  Could there be any more suitable place than this?  I was tickled pink with my little arrangement and it cheered me up no end.

Chronica Domus
A perfect resting place for an inky arrangement atop the secretary
Photo: Chronica Domus


I urge you to look around your home and reimagine a relic of your own, something that is doing nothing but gathering dust on a shelf, or is tucked within a crowded drawer or groaning cupboard. Do tell me what you find. There are endless possibilities if you take the time to view your belongings with fresh perspective.

I am so happy I did as the little inkwell is being enjoyed once again by its present owner, over two centuries since its manufacture, and to very different ends.

18 comments:

  1. Just adore what you did here. Very clever as that inkwell reminds me of those dutch style flower pots with designated spots for stems plus that inky color serves as a great platform for many types of flowers. I dare say i would like a taller version of that inkwell. It's hard to get repurposing right ( don't know if you are on Pinterest) but some of it puts me off recycling even but you hit the right note here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, those dutch tulip vases are very pretty indeed. I'm sure you saw some on your recent visit to Amsterdam, perhaps on display in one of the homes you visited.

      I'm not on Pinterest yet as I fear I may never come up for breath if I lose myself down that rabbit hole.

      Delete
  2. Perfection! I love basalt ware, and your little repurposed ink well is just lovely with the violets. My Aunt is very clever at the repurposing of things - teapots that had lost their lids etc with charming flower arrangements. My husband's silver Christening cup we use as a pen pot next to the phone, and I was at an older friends house, and her husband (aged mid 70's) sterling silver potty (I kid you not, apparently a christening gift from his godmother) was being used as a rose bowl! It looked fabulous and really made us laugh when we commented on the lovely vase and was told its true origins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heidi, I can see it now - those beautiful roses in that sterling potty. How very clever and witty indeed, and what a wonderful conversation piece to be sure.

      Delete
  3. Great useage of the inkwell! I have a wedgwood biscuit jar that I regularly use as a vase..... when not in use as a vase I use it to store matchbooks. The cookies stay in the pantry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AD, I know those biscuit vases very well. A cousin of mine collects them but I've not seen her actually put them to such a creative use.

      Delete
  4. Bravo CD! I was only recently introduced to basalt and of that Wedgewood variety you highlight compliments via Pinterest of 'Curator' as I still like to refer to her as. That muted black seems to have so much more substance and dignity than other pottery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GSL, who is this "Curator" you speak so well of, and does she indulge in a little basalt too? Obviously, I'm lurking in all the wrong places if I'm yet to join the hordes on Pinterest.

      Delete
  5. Hello CD, Your black basalt inkwell makes a wonderful vase with a built-in frog. Of course, I also give a lot of credit to the flower arranger for its final look of elegance.

    I have an old oak case from a telephone, bought without any works. I keep it on my dresser in Cleveland, and when I stay there, I use it to keep all my important Taiwan items--keys, ticket, money, cards, etc., so that there is no danger of forgetting something essential when I return. The color and finish are very nice, and at first glance most people would not take it for an old telephone.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you Jim. I'm glad you liked my little arrangement as much as I did.

      What a very clever trick to corral all of your travel essentials in your oak telephone case for safe keeping. To think, the case may very well have been lost if you had not rescued it, along (possibly) with your flight ticket!

      Delete
  6. CD,
    This is something I enjoy doing. Taking an object and using it for something unexpected. I admit, your basalt inkwell and violas and pansies are perfectly suited to the vessel. I have been tempted many times to buy Black Magic but haven't yet done so. This post has inspired me. I had to chuckle at your description of having to write with a fountain pen in your youth. I have always loved fountain pens and Mr. B. purchased a fine retractable fountain pen for me a few years back and I love it. (No inky fingers or mess).
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen,

      Do pick up Black Magic next time you see it at the nursery. It has a tendency to disappear into its surroundings if you don't plant it next to something brighter (such as a green leafy plant or colorful flower).

      Perhaps I'll give the fountain pen another shot as I am, after all, all grown up now so perhaps those inky fingers are a thing of the past.

      Delete
  7. Such a very pretty coupling. It seems the ink has bloomed!
    Children in France are still taught to write with fountain pens, though thank goodness, they are not required to refill their cartridges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I love that you see that the ink has bloomed!

      I am heartened to read that French children are still taught to write with pens. It was most shocking for me to discover that American students (at least the ones at my daughter's school) do not practice penmanship. Do teachers really expect that writing will be replaced with typing in the future? I shudder at the thought.

      Delete
  8. Hello,

    As you may imagine, we are still of the fountain pen brigade even though our numbers are dwindling. Matching black lacquer Waterman pens and Quink ink but they get less and less use as emails have replaced our letters in the main.

    How lovely your inkwell is and, put to its new use, you have breathed fresh life into this tiny treasure. It reminds of early schooldays with inkwells an integral part of the desk. Very handing for dipping the long haired pigtails of the child in front!

    Looking around, most of what we have is ancient with precious little which could be ascribed to the contemporary. Coal scuttles....still for coal......grape scissors.....still for cutting grapes...ink blotters......perpetual calendar....postage stamp holder......all as originally intended! We fear that we are in a living museum, the only artefacts which have been reimagined and reinvented are ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, why am I not in the least bit surprised to learn that you are both firmly in the fountain pen regiment! I might just have to try once again and hope my hand is sturdier in adulthood so as not to make an inky mess of it all.

      Although I do have several repurposed objects around the house, I also derive great enjoyment from using many old things for their intended purpose. You'll be hard pressed to find anything new on my dining table, for example, and much of what we have in our kitchen was made at the beginning of the twentieth century or before (except for a few modern conveniences that require electricity or gas).

      Delete
  9. I covet your collection of basalt pottery. What a sweet vignette the pansies make in the ink well, the black ones look as though they were white but have soaked up all the ink! I will have to hunt out some items to re-purpose when we unpack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lord Cowell,

      The basalt is a particular weakness of mine and I'm only sorry that it is not as readily available as I'd wish it to be.

      Do consider re-purposing some of your items, especially if they are laying about unused. I'd be willing to bet you will come up with some creative uses for all sorts of things.

      Delete

Please do leave a comment as I enjoy the dialogue with my readership, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...