Sunday, November 26, 2017

In Support of Small Business Saturday

About five years ago I began to notice posters going up in certain neighborhoods at this time of the year, encouraging shoppers to patronize small businesses.  It only dawned on me recently that those posters were advertising something known as Small Business Saturday, the day directly following the dreaded Black Friday.  I am sure you are already well versed in the concept of Black Friday shopping but in case you are not, it involves frantically racing around department stores and big box chains, often to the point of the ridiculous, even during the wee hours of the morning (aka midnight),  in search of bargains. Surely, I am not alone when I say that the entire idea of Black Friday could not be more unpalatable. I suppose that is the reason why Small Business Saturday came into being.

Supporting small independent neighborhood businesses is nothing new to me.  In fact, it is my preferred way of shopping when it comes to both food items and household goods and services.  Last year on Small Business Saturday, for example, I took a pair of boots to the local cobbler to be re-heeled, and then walked to the dry cleaner to drop off my winter coat which was in need of a cleaning.  I value the services of these small neighborhood businesses so make a point of patronizing them whenever possible.  In today's throwaway culture and Internet shopping-obsessed world, these businesses need all the support they can get.  Of course, I am only too happy to oblige.

Yesterday, finding ourselves with a day devoid of obligations, and a daughter busy with friends, my husband and I hopped into the motor car and headed north across the Golden Gate bridge to Petaluma, a favorite little town full of small, one-of-a-kind businesses.  We could not think of a better place to be on Small Business Saturday.  Unfortunately, I had forgotten my camera at home but just to give you an idea, we saw plenty of these on our adventure through the town:

The shopkeepers of many small businesses in Petaluma were giving away these tote
bags to their patrons


There were people everywhere enjoying the cooler weather outdoors between bouts of early Christmas shopping.  Many of the merchants provided complimentary nibbles and beverages which only encouraged patrons to linger a little longer than perhaps is usual while they perused the merchandise on offer.

Of course, I did my bit in support of Small Business Saturday and visited all the antiques shops in town.  I came away with a handful of vintage glass Christmas tree ornaments which will surely find their way onto our tree later next month.  I also found a delightful early-nineteenth century English creamware mug decorated with pleasing pink luster (or would that be lustre?) bands and a purple bat print scene of a shepherdess and two shepherds.  The mug stands three inches high and three and a half inches across.  I was thrilled to bits with the newest addition to my ceramics collection especially as it had been discounted by 15% in honor of today's shopping event.

Chronica Domus
So pleased to have taken home a little treasure in support of Small Business Saturday yesterday
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
My new old mug as photographed from the back
Photo: Chronica Domus


When we eventually made our way home during the early evening hours, we stopped off at our favorite local Italian eatery in search of a delicious and comforting dinner.  Once again, there we were supporting yet another local small business.

What an enjoyable day, and evening, Small Business Saturday turned out to be for us this year. And, although our dinner is long-gone, at least I get to keep my mug as a pleasant reminder that supporting small independent businesses yields unique items not easily found at the mall or in big box chains.

Did you get out and about yesterday in support of your favorite small businesses?

16 comments:

  1. Your lustre ware mug is delightful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, slf. It was a timely purchase as I had only just broken an old Paris Porcelain mug I used for coffee (the handle snapped off!). I may just opt to skip the hot liquids with this little gem as I fear, over time, it will meet the same fate. Fear not, however, as I'll think of some other purpose for it. Yet another flower receptacle, perhaps? A pen pot? The possibilities are endless.

      Delete
  2. Hello CD, You can guess that I also patronize many small antique dealers, and in fact on Saturday I bought some old photos from an Ebay dealer. There are many small businesses in Taiwan, and it is fun to explore the many side streets here looking for unique merchandise and bargains.
    --Jim
    P.S. Did you get the email for the New York Ceramics and Glass Fair? (www.nyceramicsandglass.com) I always wished I could go to some of these shows, but Ohio seemed a little too far. Anyway, the dealers are small, although their prices aren't necessarily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,

      I imagine that in Taiwan there are far fewer chain stores than there are here so shopping would no doubt be a more pleasurable activity.

      Recently, as I unwrapped a purchase I made through the post from a small business, I noticed the seller had included a note thanking me for my purchase and telling me that each time someone patronizes a small shop, the owner performs a little jump of excitement. That put a smile on my face.

      I am not on the email list of the NY Ceramics & Glass Fair but I'd gladly attend such a prestigious show. It would be right up my alley, that's for sure!

      Delete
  3. This year I noticed black friday is now a whole week starting last Monday...It has morphed into something bigger than ever. I don't shop so much anymore but I did notice Amex holding a special offer for more points if you went to smaller businesses so that is a nice touch promoting small shops which are a hugely dying breed here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Naomi,

      Yes, it is much the same out here too. Small shops seem to be disappearing at an alarming rate, especially in the city where rents are skyrocketing. Very sad state of affairs.

      Delete
  4. I love small businesses. It's the only bricks and mortar shopping I do (I have teens so I go to malls but cannot stand them.) We have a gorgeous little shop near us that sells the most wonderful things that I see nowhere else. It's my favourite place to find gifts. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jen Lawrence,

      If I never darken the doors of a shopping mall ever again it will be a happy day for me. Cannot stand them and only go when desperate.

      So glad you too enjoy supporting small businesses. Often, it is these businesses that give a town its color and personality.

      Delete
  5. We are avoiding the shopping frenzy this year. However we do try to support small businesses whenever possible although we concentrate on services and comestibles rather than things ( with the occasional exception for small collectibles). My husband and I are both in our 60s so we have a plethora of "stuff" and do not need to add to the bounty. If anything we are giving away items primarily to organizations like Good Will.
    Best,
    KL Gaylin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello KL Gaylin,

      Yes, I agree. We also use many services from smaller businesses and not necessarily buy items each time we patronize. Of course, one's house is "full of stuff" too but I can't help myself when it comes to ceramics I'm afraid, especially those made during the Georgian/Regency period. I'm just hopeless I guess!

      Delete
  6. Hello CD
    Regrettably, Black Friday has crossed the seas to Australia. Worse, it's stretched out to Cyber Monday and I expect it's here to stay.
    We are very fortunate to live in a neighbourhood with exceptional small businesses which are able to service all of our goods and services needs. Most are operated by local families and it's an absolute pleasure to support them.
    Spud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Spud,

      I am somewhat alarmed that Black Friday has reached the shores of Australia. There I was thinking BF is strictly an American shopping day following on from a day off in celebration of Thanksgiving.

      I'm pleased to read that you are supporter of your local small businesses. Where would we be without them for a world full of chain stores is not an appealing thought.

      Delete
  7. Small businesses often supply us goods and services of high quality. I will do support them. Happy Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello roughterrain crane,

      I'm pleased to learn that small businesses are alive and well in Japan!

      Delete
  8. I grew up in a small village (pop. less than 800) in the Catskills where we knew every merchant. I don't know if it stems from childhood but no matter where I have lived I have always supported local businesses. I enjoy the interaction with the shop keepers. I have lived in one of Chicago's lake side suburbs for over 30 years and have sadly watched as we lose more and more small shops. I was heartbroken when the local stationers closed. I recall having coffee with a group of women and discussing the loss of what I considered a local treasure, when one of the group admitted that she had never set foot in the store but couldn't understand why anyone would shop there when Office Max was less than 5 miles away. I thanked her for contributing to the demise of what was once a vibrant downtown. Susan Adler Sobol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan Adler Sobol,

      What a pity to have to watch your local small merchants disappear like that. Why on earth would one select to darken the doors of a big box stationers when smaller, and no doubt more charming, ones exist? Just today, while out and about, I happened upon a small business that to my utter delight had opened just recently. Of course, I had to go in and see what was what. Once I did, I got chatting to the shopkeeper who told me she had recently moved out west from New York and decided to set up shop here. This was a most charming business selling passementerie and vintage ribbons and trimmings and the like. I cannot express how thrilled I was that in an ocean of box big and chain stores, we have gained a little jewel of a shop. This gives me hope for us all!

      Delete

Please do leave a comment as I enjoy the dialogue with my readership, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...