Wednesday, May 27, 2015

A Ramble Through The Woods and Yonder

 Chronica Domus
A family of quail carved atop a charming sign cautions drivers as they approach Wunderlich Park and the historic Folger Stable
Photo: Chronica Domus


In spite of the fact that I do not participate in any sporting activity, I do enjoy exercising in the great outdoors.  And by that I mean on Shanks' pony.  There is nothing better than a good old-fashioned invigorating ramble to rouse the spirit. Besides, if you are fortunate enough to have the use of two healthy feet and a sturdy pair of walking shoes, that is all that one requires to get moving.  No special training necessary.  No fancy equipment required. So, having found ourselves without social obligations this past Sunday, we telephoned our dear friend Gavin, an indefatigable walker, and invited him to join us on a trek through one of the Bay Area's prettiest hiking trails.  We fled south by motor for about forty-five minutes until we reached the environs of Woodside and Atherton, smack in the middle of horse country.  The area acts as home and playground to many of Silicon Valley's wealthiest captains of (tech) industry, due to its proximity to the main business hubs of San Francisco and San Jose. The serenity of the surrounding countryside is also a factor as to why the place is a magnet for its tony residents.

It was a perfect day to enjoy the spectacular trails of Wunderlich Park.  The lower than usual May temperatures afforded us the opportunity to amble along the Alambique trail without overheating. Additionally, spurts of vigorous wind rustling the tree tops also kept us cool.

Chronica Domus
The towering Redwood trees of Alambique trail
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
We encountered this spectacular view from the top of the trail, elevation 1,430 feet 
(notice the fog rolling in from the right)
Photo: Chronica Domus

At some point on our hike, we must have deviated from the woodland trail as we found ourselves walking along flower-spangled meadowlands.

Chronica Domus
Entering the bucolic meadow
Photo: Chronica Domus


I was pleasantly surprised to see several varieties of flora in bloom this late in the season. Sadly, my botanical knowledge falls short of identifying the flowers you see in the following photographs. Perhaps one of you knowledgeable readers would care to enlighten me, thank you.

Chronica Domus
Ah, this one I know to be an Iris
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
Could this be some type of Lily?
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
This one has me stumped ...
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
... as does this ...
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
.. and this pretty little blue one  ...
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
... yup, this one too (a wild Sweet Pea perhaps?)
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
Finally, one that I recognize, a Thistle ...
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
... and this is Briza maxima, or Rattlesnake grass
Photo: Chronica Domus


All in all we covered about eight pleasant miles, meandering hither and yon, until we were once again reunited with our motor.

Chronica Domus
Goodbye pretty meadow
Photo: Chronica Domus


At this point, I'd like to add a word or two about appropriate attire if you too decide to commune with nature, as we did.  By donning comfortable walking clothes that fall within Nature's subdued color palette, you choose to walk in harmony with Nature, not against her.  The entire point of being in such splendid environs is not to draw glaring attention to yourself with your hi-tech neon athletic shoes or zippy colored sports clothing.  Please, do us all a favor and leave those for the gym workouts. Here, browns and greens and other neutrals should rule for the enjoyment of all who seek the tranquility that such open spaces provide.  Our like-minded friend Gavin and I wore our olive green-colored quilted jackets atop neutral comfy walking clothes.  One dapper gent we crossed paths with and exchanged pleasantries looked absolutely marvelous in his straw hat and togs of muted tone.  He even accessorized with a pair of binoculars hanging from his neck.  Well done, sir!

One of the highlights of Wunderlich Park is a visit to the ritzy and meticulous Folger family horse stable.

Chronica Domus
Approaching the Folger Stable
Photo: Chronica Domus 


Chronica Domus
A portion of the stable complex
Photo: Chronica Domus


Designed by Arthur Brown Jr., who was also responsible for the design of San Francisco's city hall and opera house, the stable is built in the so-called "Victorian Gothic style".  Constructed in 1905 for the coffee magnate, James A. Folger II, the building is an absolute joy to visit, even if you're not of the horsey persuasion.

A vintage Folger's coffee advertisement appealing to "crotchety connoisseurs" and "affable amateurs" alike

As we were here on a Sunday afternoon, the carriage room museum was unfortunately closed preventing me from photographing it to its fullest potential for your enjoyment.  

Chronica Domus
Photo: Chronica Domus


I last visited the museum several years ago and was impressed with the pristine carriages on display alongside artifacts and information on the local history of the area and the Folger family that owned the surrounding land.

Chronica Domus
I managed to snap this photograph of a carriage through the museum's window
Photo: Chronica Domus


My enjoyment of the stable was buoyed by several of the exquisite equines in residence, including this beautiful fellow.

Chronica Domus
Hello, my name is Winchester ...
Photo: Chronica Domus

And this one.


Chronica Domus
... and I'm Chespin
Photo: Chronica Domus


The tack and harness room was clean and orderly, much like the immaculately kept stable.

Chronica Domus
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
Saddles at the ready
Photo: Chronica Domus


One could not detect even a whiff of odor to betray the fact that horses are in residence. The redwood paneling of the stable's interior was harvested from the estate grounds and stained to imitate costly mahogany.  Gas lighting and cobblestones complete the elegant look of the interior.

Chronica Domus
The Folger stable is kept in tip-top condition
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
This beautiful horse is being readied for grooming
Photo: Chronica Domus


Chronica Domus
Happy trails
Photo: Chronica Domus


Once we had poked around the stable and yard, it was time to head north but not before a brief pit-stop in the town of Burlingame .  Having become ravenous from all the walking and fresh air, we happily devoured a scrumptiously prepared late luncheon early dinner with a glass or two of wine, swiftly undoing all the benefits gained from our calorie-busting walk. Oops!

It had been a fulfilling day of bracing exercise set among a backdrop of spectacular scenery, reminding me once again why I so adore living where I do.

Are you the sporty type or do you, like me, prefer a ramble through woods and yonder?


16 comments:

  1. Hello CD, It seems that everywhere I have lived I have a favorite walk (or two) that characterizes my memories of that place. The last time I was in the Bay area, misjudging the distance, I walked the entire circuit of Lake Merritt. At one end is the Camron-Stanford house, and at the other a nature preserve with a small museum.

    You were lucky to visit the Folger stables; elaborate outbuildings like that are among my favorites, but they are not as often preserved as the main houses. In my post on Stan Hywet, I showed the beautiful Seiberling stables, in the Tudor Revival style.
    --Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jim,

      If you've had a favorite walk in every place you've lived, well, we are kindred spirits then. I've never walked around Lake Merritt, but now that you've mentioned it, I think I shall.

      I adore the fact that the Folger stable has been so well maintained. Outbuildings really play an important part of how the main house functioned. When I visited Mount Vernon, George and Martha Washington's Virginia estate, I was fascinated with the numerous outbuildings and how each of them played a significant role in the upkeep of the family and the the main house and surrounding farm. If these had been torn down, I do not think I would have found Mount Vernon to be half as interesting as it was.

      Delete
  2. I used to go to the gym in my 20's but i love a hike and i love it better than a walk. One of the reasons why I could live in LA eventhough everyone says I am "not LA" is the hikes - I love runyon for example and never get bored of that course. I like a hill and mountain. When I go away people always comment I am sporty and yet in London I am a lazy couch potato. I think surroundings play a very influential role in my case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I think you'd love the Bay Area too for its numerous hiking trails. We don't get as hot as L.A. though, and none of the smog.

      I can see how one can become a little lazy in London, as there are tube stations everywhere. However, I've always enjoyed walking about about town. I recall vividly one January 1st, right after the New Year's celebrations at Trafalgar Square, where every bus was jam packed, as was every tube train. My friends and I decided, what the heck, let's just walk home. We started at the square and walked all the way to Wood Green and beyond. I think that was a record for me.

      Delete
  3. We have some beautiful hikes around here, it's one of the perks. Wunderlich is a great park - and you seem to have hit prime wildflower time! What you call a sweet pea I've known as vetch, and the little purple with the yellow center is called blue-eyed grass. The yellow trumpet looks to be monkey flower, but the rest are new to me. I hope you get to take all our good hikes - something only those who live here spend the time to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello LPC,

      Well, you are a fountain of knowledge on the local flora, thank you. I've seen vetch grow elsewhere locally, but had no clue at to its name. It is so very pretty. The others are new to me, hence my befuddlement. So glad you sorted that little matter out for me, thank you again.

      If you'd care to recommend any other hiking trails you may know of, I would love to walk them some day.

      Delete
  4. CD,
    I love to walk, it's my prefered source of exercise. I happen to live in an area that offers lots of nature trails for walking. None with the beautiful wild flowers you shared, but still, there is nothing like fresh air and exercise, including good conversation along the way!
    What amazing stables these are. I have seen pictures of finished stables in magazines that remind me of this, pretty enough to be part of a living space.
    I'm loving this unseasonable cool weather...we know summer will be here pretty soon. :-)
    xo,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Karen,

      Ah, another walker! Good to hear. The wild flowers, I'm certain, are only enjoyed during the spring months here as soon enough, everything turns that familiar golden shade of a dry.

      Aren't those stables something? One would never imagine they are located here in the wild west!

      I do hope Mr. B. is doing well. Thank you for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. Dear CD,

    Another lovely post - thank you for sharing. I was particularly taken by the immaculate condition of the stables.

    I'm not the sporty type - 'bookish' would be a more apt description. But I do like to keep fit and my husband and I love to walk whether for pleasure, exercise or as a means of transportation. We're very fortunate to live in a part of inner Melbourne which abuts over 600 acres of natural bushland and numerous walking tracks.

    It's late autumn here. The air is crisp and the sun is out - ideal walking conditions. In fact, I set aside this morning for exactly that purpose and have been looking forward to it all week!

    Spud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Spud,

      I had to laugh at your description of autumn in Melbourne, "the air is crisp and the sun is out". It appears that you've kept the sun for yourself. Here, it feels like winter. Blustery winds, fog, and I've not seen the sun for at least a week! Typical Bay Area weather.

      So glad you liked the Folger stable. It is a gem. As Karen above pointed out, it looks good enough to live in, even for those of us sans hooves.

      Enjoy your walk and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. This takes me back, (probably to my first visit to San Francisco) and to Atherton where I stayed with some probably now since departed friends. Their friend was a recently divorced Mrs Folger, with whom we went to have a cocktail at her new post divorce residence, and she was then my "date" at the Burlingame (Country?) Club. Sadly my visit did not include any hiking, except up and down the streets of SF; I stayed at the Bohemian Club on the corner of Post & Taylor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello columnist,

      I'm glad this posting awakened memories for you. The Bohemian Club is just down the street from our favorite bar, The Big 4. As you've already discovered, the area requires quite a hike to navigate the steep terrain. Try it in heels someday, or maybe not.

      Delete
  7. Well, that was invigorating.I so enjoyed taking this walk with you. The scenery is beautiful as are the wildflowers you found. Unfortunately I am not familiar with American flowers but I think the first yellow one is some kind of allium and the second yellow one looks like a form of balm and the other is what we call a pea vetch.

    The visit to the beautiful stables must have been a joy, lovely horses and so beautifully kept surroundings - we only see stables like this attached to grand old country houses which we have visited on Garden Open Days.

    It does you good doesn't it - to get out into the countryside - see different things and the beauties that nature has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello elaine,

      So glad I could take you along on our walk through this post, especially as you have helped solve the mystery of the yellow allium-looking flower. With a little prodding about on Google images, the mystery flower can now be known by its proper name of Allium moly. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I am far more familiar with British wild flora than I am with our northern California blooms. LPC, in her comment above, successfully named the little purple vine as vetch (or pea vetch as you call it - which makes sense as the flower resembles a miniature sweet pea), but the orangey/yellow blooms remain a mystery.

      Delete
  8. I love a good walk in the woods! We did this just yesterday with our dog at a local hilly spot. I don't go to gyms I just try to walk as much a possible and I do a bit of stretching at home.
    This spot is just gorgeous, you do live in a beautiful part of the world. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello DaniBP,

      The best walks are always the ones that include our faithful canine companions. For this particular walk, sadly,our dearest Mavro remained home as he is now a senior dog and is becoming rather rickety in his dotage, and less able to navigate the hilly terrain. Pounding the pavement nightly is now his "thing".

      Delete

Please do leave a comment as I enjoy the dialogue with my readership, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...